KIWI-OSD Model 2
Click on the image for a larger view
Currently, only pre-assembled and pre-configured versions of
the KIWI-OSD are available
Video Screen Capture
Image courtesy of Dave Gault, Australia
We Want To Hear
If you have questions about the KIWI-OSD please feel free to contact us by using the
Geoff Hitchcox's excellent technical information about the KIWI-OSD can
be found here.
Dave Gault's occultations videos can be found here.
OF THE KIWI-OSD
Click here for important information about
the recall of some models of the KIWI-OSD
How to upgrade the
firmware on your GPS
How to make
the recall modifications to your OSD.
The following documents are available to aid you in
understanding, using, or constructing a KIWI-OSD.
The KIWI-OSD GPS is shipped preconfigured with setting that are
optimized for use with the KIWI-OSD. It is not recommended that you
attempt to modify the settings in the GPS as the KIWI-OSD may not operate
correctly if changes are made. Use the following utility at your own risk.
Sensor Configuration Software
KIWI-OSD configuration file.
The KIWI-OSD is a Video Time Inserter (VTI) that
displays a highly accurate time superimposed on a video source. It works
in conjunction with a GPS to provide the extraordinary accuracy as well
as the longitude, latitude, and altitude.
Features of the KIWI-OSD are:
- Now available in a "cable-less"
- Lower cost as compared to other VTIs
- Has inherent backup timing system
- Alerts user when GPS timing errors occur
- Odd and even field times displayed - allows easier reading on
field OR frame replay VCR
- Automatic loading of time and date (no manual entry required)
- Displays satellite information
- Displays height and datum related info
- Can be used with NTSC or PAL video (auto detect)
- Connectors are on cables (no additional cables usually needed)
- Time is read directly off screen (no offsets to calculate)
- Accurate to 1 millisecond of UTC
- A LED displays 1PPS to microsecond precision (to allow for camera
Personal Equation tests)
- Has a 'pass-thru' serial cable, for those wishing to use a
PC/laptop for navigation etc.
- Has only three integrated circuits
- Very low current consumption with reverse polarity protection
- Dual 'polyswitch' fuses (that auto reset on removal of excess
- No calibration or setup required
- Light weight for "plane travel".
- Simple one button operation (no detailed instructions required)
- GPS unit is removable (to allow it to be used with other KIWI-OSD
Product Specifications and Requirements
- Video Source: NTSC or PAL (auto detect)
- 9V - 15V DC, 12V DC recommended.
- Draws ~15ma without a GPS, ~70ma of current with a
- Works with
Garmin 18 LVC GPS
- Accurate to 1ms UTC
The KIWI-OSD is available as an out of the box
solution with or without a GPS. Click here to see
the available purchase options.
Payment can be made using PayPal, certified
check, or money order. Sorry, we don't accept credit card payments at
this time, although you may pay through PayPal with a credit card.
Send Feedback to PFD Systems
Please feel free to send comments
concerning the KIWI-OSD to PFD Systems.
Many questions concerning the KIWI-OSD can be found on the FAQ
PFD Systems supports a Yahoo
Group forum available to all KIWI-OSD enthusiasts. It can be found at the site
listed below. The forum is to allow users to comment, exchange ideas and to
post questions. The forum is free to everybody. Browse to the link listed
below and sign up!
For other inquiries regarding the KIWI-OSD, contact
PFD Systems, LLC
5900 Rudyard Dr.
Bethesda, MD 20814